I have to admit, I love lists. On any given day, you’ll find me scrolling through social media, clicking on headlines that promise some sort of quick insight. The “Top 10 Places to Retire in America.” The “100 Books You Should Read Before You Die.” The “20 Foods You Need to Start Eating Now to Reverse Aging.”
These lists are essentially shortcuts – a way to get the benefit of someone else’s research and all the work that goes into selecting and editing a group of possible contenders; coming up with criteria; and weighting to determine the winners and losers.
So, it was exciting to find out that Levi Strauss & Co. has been named one of the “Best Companies to Work For in Fashion 2017” by the Business of Fashion. It’s a new list, and we are honored to be included and be in such great company.
To mark the occasion, I decided to put together a completely unscientific list of “Seven Reasons I Love Coming to Work Every Day.”
- I have the best job in the company. As Chief Human Resources Officer, I get to spend time with our leaders and teams around the world and hear their stories. Why they came to work for us. Why they stay. What gets in their way. What ideas they have for creating great experiences for our consumers. What we can do to make LS&Co. an even better place to work.
- Right over Easy. Our values are not a laminated poster or a mouse pad. They are often inconvenient, sometimes unpopular, often hard. But they are our North Star and we use them all the time to guide our decision-making.
- My team. Talented, opinionated, passionate, stubborn, smart people who challenge me all the time.
- Variety – no two days are the same. With our great brands and 13,200 employees around the world, there is always something happening, day or night.
- The view from our offices in San Francisco. It doesn’t come much better than that.
- Our rich history – Starting with the birth of the blue jean in 1873, LS&Co. has a unique history and an amazing heritage. Since our inception, we’ve inspired change in the marketplace, the workplace and the world.
- How the company shows up in the world. Now more than ever, we need leaders who are willing to stand up for what they believe in. We are proud of our legacy as a force for social justice and equality, and we will persist.
No question, it’s an honor to be on the Business of Fashion list. This is a pretty special place.