Earlier this month, we opened our newest store in the heart of Shanghai’s popular shopping district on Nanjing Road. This new store joins existing NextGen stores in Tokyo and Wuhan in Asia, and will be the brand’s pinnacle store in China. Our Shanghai beacon store epitomizes customization, denim leadership, originality and authenticity, and brings the shopping district to life in a way not seen in China before as the ultimate destination for consumer experiences.
The elements of the beacon store combine the latest concepts and designs of the brand’s NextGen store initiative, designed to reposition Levi’s® stores into world-class omni-channel experiences that give our consumers an authentic, compelling and consistent expression for the Levi’s® brand. The store also boasts innovative and downright cool features, like:
- Leading products: The store will showcase a range of jeanswear and accessories alongside the brand’s most premium lines, such as Levi’s® Made & Crafted, Levi’s® Vintage Clothing and Levi’s® Authorized Vintage, a collection of pre-worn Levi’s® denim pieces that are 100% unaltered or carefully retooled with minimal adjustments by Levi’s® own master tailors.
- Memorable features: The 670-square-meter, two-floor store was designed around a central skylight feature, creating a spacious and light-filled environment that combines the Levi’s® brand’s signature craftsmanship with the historical characteristics of the building.
- Local art: The store’s interior boasts a large staircase wall mural, created in collaboration with well-known Chinese street artist Sheep Chen and inspired by the sustainable Tailor Shop ethos that encourages up-cycling and reinforces authentic self-expression.
- Denim forest: Using 250 pairs of unused jeans and 72 hours to construct, the denim forest installation aims to inspire shoppers about the creative ways in which old denim can be repurposed. The art installation will remain in the store front until the end of September.
- Tailor Shop: As a testimony to the brand’s dedication and passion for craftsmanship and sustainability, a Tailor Shop is located on the store’s second level. There shoppers can revive their preloved vintage pieces or personalize new Levi’s® purchases, in addition to the Tailor Shop customizations such as pins, patches, embroidery and painting.
- Upcoming LEED Certification: A testament to our commitment to integrate sustainability into all facets of the company, the Shanghai Beacon Store is also in the process of receiving its LEED silver certification. Recognized as the leading certification program for green buildings and communities worldwide, the store will be Levi’s® first retail space in China to receive the accolade, setting a new benchmark in green retail for the brand. As part of the certification process, the store will be evaluated across key criteria including efficiency of water usage, quality of indoor environment, energy use, and use of sustainable materials.
“Levi’s® is focused on bringing a highly personalized shopping experience to the consumer and this new, larger-format store embodies the brand’s bold stature and vision for China,” said Amy Yang, managing director of Greater China. “This beacon store offers the most expansive product assortment and brings to life our brand story with a theater-like expression. We can’t wait for the people of China and the world to experience it!”
*NOTE: Main image was taken during the recent store opening press event where all attendees abided by local COVID-19 guidelines.