Our Quick Qs series is a chance to get to know more about new leaders at LS&Co. Meet Tracy Layney, our new senior vice president and Chief Human Resources Officer.
1. What did you do before joining Levi Strauss & Co.?
I was the Chief HR Officer for Shutterfly Inc., the world’s largest producer of customized photo products whose purpose is “helping people share life’s joy.”
2. What attracted you to LS&Co.?
This is actually my second time working at LS&Co.; I was at the company earlier in my career. What attracted me most to was the company’s brand, culture and values. We have an amazing brand, and we play an important role in the lives of our consumers. I have spent my career working for companies with great brands and helping to translate these compelling consumer brands into amazing employer brands. Even more than this, though, LS&Co. has a strong values-based culture, and we strive to have an impact in the world even beyond the borders of the company itself. This is why I am so excited to join LS&Co. again.
3. What are the biggest challenges you and your team face?
It’s unbelievable how much the world has changed in just a few short weeks. A few weeks ago, I would have probably talked about the need to leverage our strong brand and culture in the highly competitive talent marketplace. Now though, the biggest challenge we all face is how to navigate this pandemic that is impacting every aspect of our global business — and our lives. This is the biggest challenge that our world has faced in decades, and while every day brings more information, it also brings more anxiety, uncertainty and, frankly, fear. We are all experiencing this even if our individual circumstances are unique … whether we work in stores or distribution centers that are now temporarily closed or we are working remotely following one of our global office closures, cut off from our colleagues and maybe juggling kids at home or worrying for elderly parents. While our experiences may be unique, we truly are all in this together. The HR team is on the front lines of this crisis, working every day to support our employees around the world and keep everyone safe and healthy, and I am proud of the work this team has done so far. Despite the circumstances, I am excited to be joining LS&Co. and helping the company navigate the waters ahead.
4. What was your first job?
I made pizzas at Mr. Gatti’s Pizza in Houston, Texas (where I grew up).
5. What is your favorite quote?
“May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.” — Nelson Mandela
6. List five things that make you happy.
– Travel (my passion)
– Cooking (doing a lot of this right now)
– Art (all kinds — visual and performance, particularly modern/contemporary art and musical theater)
– My son, Noah (he still makes me happy … even though he is a teenager)
– Above all else, spending time with family and friends (getting lots of this now with Noah and my husband Jaison, and trying to do regular virtual check-ins with friends and extended family)